"ARDCLACH, a highland parish in Nairnshire. It is bounded by Auldearn, Nairn, Cawdor, Moy, Duthil, and Edinkelly parishes; and is about 10 or 12 miles long, and between 7 and 8 broad ... The Findhorn river traverses the parish, and is here rapid, and frequently impassable, excepting at the bridges ... About a mile below Dulsie, a beautiful sequestered holm greets the traveller, encircled with terraced banks and birchen bowers; and in the centre of which rises a small cairn, with an ancient sculptured tablet, about eight feet high, and half as broad, standing at one end of it, and having a rude cross and many Runic knots still discernible on its surface. Tradition calls it the stone of memorial of a Celtic princess, who perished in the adjoining river, while attempting to ford it on horseback with her lover, a Dane ... Population in 1831, 1,270; in 1861, 1,330."
from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1652.
- The transcription of the section for Ardclach from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.