ARDCLACH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ARDCLACH, a parish in the county of Nairn, Scotland, 8 miles to the S.E. of Nairn. It is situated on the western bank of the river Findhorn, in a mountainous and heathy district. The living, value £248, is in the presbytery of Nairn, and in the patronage of Brodie of Lethen, chief heritor, and is 11 miles long, and between 7 and 8 miles broad. There are about 2,000 acres of arable land, and 4,000 acres of moss and moor, with a considerable quantity of woodland, which abounds in game of all kinds, including the deer. About a mile below Dulsie there is an ancient sculptured tablet, 8 feet high, having a rude cross and many Runic characters discernible on its surface."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]