"AULDEARN, a parish, containing a post-office village of its own name, in the north-east corner of Nairnshire. It is bounded on the north by the Moray firth; on the east, by Morayshire; on the south, by the parish of Ardclach; and on the west, by the parish of Nairn. It extends 4 miles along the front; and is in length about 6½ miles and in breadth about 5½. The ground rises gradually from the coast to the inland part of the parish, where it becomes hilly. The soil is generally light and fertile in proportion to its vicinity to the sea. Near the coast is a small lake, called Loch Loy, about 1½ mile in length, and a quarter of a mile broad. Much of the surface is beautified with wood; and the whole of it, as seen from commanding eminences, backed by the firth and by the distant mountains of Ross-shire, looks smilingly lovely and brilliantly picturersque ... Population of the village in 1841; 351; in 1861, 358. Population of the parish in 1831, 1,653; in 1861, 1,328."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868
- "History of the parish of Auldearn" by George Bain, published at Nairn, 1898.
For general information on Scottish Church Records see our Scottish Church Records page.
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1687.
- The transcription of the section for Auldearn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.