We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer, 1868
Auldearn - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"AULDEARN, a parish and postal village in the county of Nairn, Scotland, 2 miles to the E. of Nairn. It lies on the south coast of the Moray Firth, and is bounded on the W. by the river Nairn and the parish of the same name. It is a burgh of barony, and was formerly the residence of the deans of Moray. The living, which is of the value of £241, is in the presbytery of Nairn, and in the patronage of Brodie of Brodie. The principal residences are Lethen and Boath. In 1645, a battle was fought near this village between the royal forces, under Montrose, and the Covenanters, under Hurry, in which the latter were defeated. Faire, chiefly for the sale of horses, are held here in June and November. The parish has an area of about 30 square miles, and contains both a Free and a United Presbyterian church."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003