We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Bibliography of Orkney Family Genealogies
| OFHS = Orkney Family History Society |
OHS = Orkney Heritage Society
OR = Orkney Room, Orkney Library
Orc = The Orcadian newspaper
| Ork Her = Orkney Herald newspaper|
POAS = Proceedings of the Orkney Antiquarian Society
RSC = Review of Scottish Culture
Page created by Bill Teschek
The Abernethys of Stromness: by Ian Abernethy. Published: Sib Folk News, September 1999 p5.
Researching the Angels: by Anne and Alastair Cormack. Published: Sib Folk News, March 1998 p17.
An Orkney Family Story: by Alex T. Annal. Published in "The People of Orkney", Kirkwall 1986, pp288-289.
Sir John Arnot of Barswick and the Family of Arnot in South Ronaldshay: by James Brown Craven. Published: Kirkwall, 1913.
The Baikies of Tankerness: by Hugh Marwick. Published: Orkney Miscellany, v.4, 1957, pp.27-48.
- The Orkney Balfours: by R. P. Fereday. Published: Oxford, 1990.
- Descendants of Michael Balfour (Westray): by Roger Hollywell. Published: Westray Roots, December 2000 pp2-3.
- William Balfour of Manitou, Manitoba (Westray): by Belle Babcock. Published: Westray Roots, June 2001, pp5-6.
- The Balfours of Westray: by David Scott. Published: Orc. 30 January 1969.
The Bellendens and the Palace of Stenness:. by Peter Leith. Published: POAS v.14, p.1937, pp.41-44.
The Beattons of Clowegarth and Langscale: by Charles Fawn. Published: Sib Folk News, December 1999 pp18-19.
Burghers of Westray: by Jeff Burgher.1992. Printed privately, 8 William Rd., Reynella, South Australia 5161.
- The Family of Clouston:. by J. Storer Clouston. Published: Kirkwall 1948.
- The Descendants of Richard Clouston and Ursila Wishart: by Pam Oliver. Printed Wellington, NZ 1992.
Copies in OA D1/218/2, and OFHS. Contains 10,000 names.
The Cormacks of Eday: by by Mariebelle Cormack. Published 1969.
The Orkney Connection: by Robert Cumming. Published: Sib Folk News, December 2001, p17-18.
The Cursiters of Orkney and Their Descendants Worldwide: by Walter D. Custer. OR, and online at http://www.cursiter.com.
The Donaldsons Abroad: by Marie Donaldson. Published by author, 3 Jill St, Marayong, NSW, 2148, Australia.
This book is a history of the descendants of Thomas Donaldson and Euphemie Pirie, who married in 1858 and lived at Donaldsons farm in Orphir. Descendants have settled all over the world and all those known are included.
- Drever, Harcus Genealogy: by Dorothy Drever. 1956.
- The Rebecca Drever Story (Westray): by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, May 1988.
- A Drever Family of Westray: by Anne Gillespie. Published: Westray Roots, January 2000 pp11-16.
- Descendants of a Westray Man becomes an Indian Chief: by Debbie Brown. Published: Westray Roots, August 1999 p4.
A Brief Introduction to the Family of Dundas of Fingask and Kerse c1708-1820: by R. P. Fereday. Privately printed 1998.
- Sketch for an Elphinstone Genealogy: by C. A. J. Elphinstone. Published in Scottish Genealogist June1992, pp53-57.
- Elphinstone of Lopness: (Sanday) by A.W. Johnston, Old Lore Miscellany, ii, pp153-154
The Eunsons of Westray: by Frank Eunson. Published: Westray Roots, July 1992
- The Feas of Clestran: by Hugh Marwick. POAS v.11,1993, pp31-43.
- The Fea Family in Orkney: by D. Scott. Orc. 4.5.1971; copy in Orkney Archives D31/20/2/41.
- An Orkney Family Saga: by Peggy Fea. published 1976
- The Diary of Patrick Fea of Stove, Orkney, 1766-96: Edited by W. S. Hewison. Published: Tuckwell Press 1997.
- The Real Captain Cleveland: by Allan Fea. Published 1912; includes history of Fea family.
Flaws - An Unusual Orcadian Name: by Bob Flaws. Published: Sib Folk News, September 2001 pp3-7.
Out of Outertown - A Flett Family Dispersed: by Victor E. Jaynes. Printed privately by author, Wellington, N.Z., 1991; copy in OFHS.
The Foulis Family (Westray): by John Foulis. Published: Westray Roots, February 1991.
Greer Garson's Orkney Ancestors: (Sandwick) by Ronald Garson. Published: Sib Folk News, June 1999 pp18-19.
The Gaudie/Gowdy family in Orkney: by Mahlon M. Gowdy, USA. Published: Orc. 14 July 1915; OLM viii, 208.
- The Story of the House of Graemeshall in Orkney: by Patrick Sutherland Graeme. Ork Her, 1936. 64 p.
- An Orkney Estate, Improvements at Graemshall, 1827-1888: by Gilbert Schrank. Published: Tuckwell Press, 1995.
- Or and Sable by Louisa Graeme: Published 1903.
- The Breckness Estate: Its Growth and Decline 1625-1922: by J. M. Irvine. 1997. Dissertation OR, 630Y.
Another Thames-Orkney Connection (Flotta) by Zoe Gray. Published: Sib Folk News, March 1999 p 6.
Greigs and Greigs: by Anne Cormack. Published: Sib Folk News, December 1998 p6, March 1999 p14.
- The Family of Groat:. by H.L. Norton Traill. Old Lore Miscellany, v.9, 1933, pp. 148-151.
- One Drop of Grotty Blood: by Mary (Groat) Hannan. Printed privately in Melbourne, Australia circa 1985.
Memories of an Orkney Family: by Henrietta Groundwater. Published: Kirkwall 1947.
- The Erskine Halcro genealogy: a genealogical study of the ancestors, kindred, and descendants of the Rev. Henry Erskine, of Chirnside, Berwickshire,1624-1696, and his wife, Margaret Halcro of Orkney, 1647-1725, and their children, the Rev. Ebenezer Erskine of Stirling, 1680-1754, and the Rev. Ralph Erskine of Dumfermline, 1685-1752, and their descendants: by Ebenezer Erskine Scott. Published: London, G. Bell & Son, 1890.
Contained in five tables, with explanatory notes to each. Available at the National Genealogical Society Library in Washington, D.C. as well as many libraries in Scotland.
- The Origin of the Halcros: by J. Storer Clouson. POAS, v.11, 1933, pp.59-65.
- The Harcuses of Westray: by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, October 1990, February, May & October 1991, January 1992, May 1993, March & August 1994.
- George Harcus of Langskaill, Westside (Westray): by Frank Eunson. Published: Westray Roots, May 2000 pp14-16.
The Hewison Family of Westray: by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, April & July 1992.
The Hourston Family History: by John and Sandra Edwards. Published: 1990.
- Irvines in Victoria, B.C. - since 1851: by Irvine Family Genealogical Group. 240 p.
Descendants of an Irvine family from Eday.
- George Irvine - Orkney Islands and Lake Rowan, Australia (Overgarson branch): by May Elizabeth Irvine and J. Willis. Privately printed in Australia, 1982; copy in Orkney Archives D1/440.
- The Irvine Family and Descendants of Charles and Margaret (Stromness): by Lucy Platjes. Privately printed Dunedin, N.Z., 1996; copy in OFHS files.
- The Irvines of Orkney: by J. M. Irvine. 1997. Sib Folk News, No. 1.
- The Irvines of Overgarson, Sandwick: by J. M. Irvine. 1998.Sib Folk News, No. 8.
- The Irvings of Yescanabie, Orkney (Sandwick): by J. M. Irvine. 2000. Dissertation; copy with OFHS.
- The Knights of Stove in Kirkness, Sandwick, Orkney: by William Smith. POAS v.5, 1912, pp. 120-1.
- The Kirknesses of Orkney: by Gregor Lamb. Published:OV, November 1993.
The Autobiography of Samuel Laing of Papdale 1780-1868: by Ray P Fereday. Published by Bellavista, Kirkwall 2000. In print.
Includes genealogy of Laing family.
Leask of Aglath: (Stenness) by A. W. Johnston, Old Lore Miscellany ii, pp 203-207.
Lennie Surname: by John Firth. Published: Old Lore Miscellany, v.5, 1912, pp.151-153.
- The Louttit Saga: by T. J. Louttit. Printed privately 1969.
- Louttits of Canada: by Reg Louttit. Orc. 7,14 June 1990.
The Mackays come to Westray: by Dr Eric McKay. Published: Westray Roots, December 1992.
The Marwicks of Fursin, Evie: by Bruce Jameson. Published: Sib Folk News, December 2001, pp8-12.
Moncrieffe Family, Orkney: by William Moncrieffe, Wyoming. 1913 Old Lore Miscellany, vi,169-172.
- The Moodies of Melsetter: by Edmund H. Burrows. Published: Cape Town, 1954.
- Moodie's Revenge: by David Scott. Orc. 19 February 1970.
- Mowat Family: by Gordon Mowat.
- The Rousay/Mowat family of Stromness: by David Scott. 1992. Orkney View, Issue No. 53.
- The Mowats of Westray: by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, February 1988.
- Mowats in Orkney and Recent Connections with Westray: by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, November 1998 pp10-11.
- Mowat Trees: (Westray) by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, August 1999 pp6-9.
- The Mowats of South Africa: by Ian Topalian. Published: Westray Roots, June 2001, pp24-30.
Lines of Descent: by Rex & Geoffrey Muir, 1980.
Paplay - A Vanishing Name: by JWHP. Orc. 6 July 1978.
- Pottinger: by J. A. Pottinger of New Zealand. 1908. Old Lore Miscellany, i, 167, 209, 257, 297; ii 198; iii 76-7.
- Pottingers of Saverton: (Westray) by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, May 1991.
Harray Notebook: by Janice Sinclair. Published: Sib Folk News, May 1997 p14.
- The Reid family, 1775-1975 : Sanday, Orkney, Scotland to Tapanui, Merino Downs, New Zealand, 1877: by Isabel Reid and David Brass. Published: Invercargill, New Zealand by the authors, 1976. 104 p., illustrated. Available at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.
- The Reids of Bigging: (Westray) by Gavin Rendall, Liz Reid, Jean (Reid) Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, May 2000 pp2-13.
- The Reids of Quoybirse/Quoybirst: (Westray) by Anne Gillespie. Published: Westray Roots, December 2001, pp14-18.
- The Rendalls of Old Ha'breck: (Westray) by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, September 1988.
- The Rendalls of Longhouse: (Westray) by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, February 1989, April 1989, October 1989.
- The Rendalls of Westray: also The Origin of the Iphs Rendalls, Westray: also The Rendalls of Peatwall, Westray: also Evidence of Rendalls in Aikerness, Westray in the 17th century: also Two Noltland Rendalls (Westray): all by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, January 1995.
- Papa Westray Rendalls: by Bill Irvine. Published: Westray Roots, October 1995.
- More Iphs Rendalls: (Westray) by Margaret Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, November 1998 pp8-9.
- Descendants of John D Rendall: (Westray, Essex) by Joan Barrett. Published: Westray Roots,June 2001, p7.
- David Rendall Descendants: (Westray) by Jean Rosencrants. Published: Westray Roots, June 2001, pp30-31.
- Kevin Bews Finds Rendall Ancestors: by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, December 2001, pp12-13.
Sands of Swanbister: (Orphir) by A. W. Johnston, Old Lore Miscellany iii, pp95-97.
The Rousay/Mowat family of Stromness: by David Scott. 1992. Orkney View, Issue No. 53.
The Ruslands of Shapinsay: by Peter G. Russell. Orc. 15 September 1970.
- The Sandisons of Westray: by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, September2000 pp6-15.
- The Sandisons of Westray: by Frank Eunson. Published: Westray Roots, June 2001, pp15-17.
- Some notes on an old Orkney family--the Scollays: by Hugh Marwick. Orkney Miscellany, i pp29-47.
- The Schollays of the Bisgeos: (Westray) by Gavin Rendall. Published: Westray Roots, November 1998, pp5-7.
- The Schollays of the Bisgeos: (Westray) by Bruce Schollie. Published: Westray Roots, June 2001, pp18-21.
The Scotts of Trenabie and Gill: (Westray) by Tom Scott. Published: Westray Roots, May 1988, September 1988.
The Seatter Emigration from Orkney to New Zealand: by Gordon Seatter. Published: Westray Roots, May 1990, October 1990, February 1991.
- James Sinclair of Brecks: by J. Storer Clouston. POAS v.15, 1939, pp.61-68.
- The Saint-Clairs of the Isles, being a history of the sea-kings of Orkney and their Scottish successors of the sirname of Sinclair: by Roland William Saint-Clair. Published: Auckland, N.Z.: H. Brett, 1898.
Also contains brief information on several other Orkney families collected from records that predate the parish registers. A copy is available at the New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
The Smiths of Tormiston: by Peter Leith. Published in: POAS v.13, 1935, pp.9-13.
- The Stewarts in Orkney: by J. Watson. Published: 1890 in Scottish Review xxv,20
- Stewarts of Newark, Sandey: by J.M. Laughton. Published: 1909 Old Lore Miscellany, ii,27,82,87-89.
- The Stewarts of Massater, Orkney: by R.A. Clapperton Stewart. Old Lore Miscellany, v.6, 1913, pp.202-8.
- The Stewart family of Brough: by David Scott. Published: Orc. 1969-70. Copy held at OA D31/20/2/48.
- Steuart: (Kirkwall) by A. W. Johnston, Old Lore Miscellany ii, pp 202-203.
A Thames Riverside Family with Origins in Orkney: (Flotta) by Stanley Stherland. Published: Sib Folk News, October 1998 pp7-8.
- A Genealogical Account of the Traills of Orkney, with a pedigree table tracing their descent from the Traills of Blebo, in Fifeshire: by William Traill. Originally published: Kirkwall, 1883.
This book contains hundreds of names dating from the early 17th century up to 1919.
- Merchant Lairds of Long Ago. Pt. 1, Traill family letters: by Hugh Marwick. Published: Kirkwall, 1936.
- Genealogical Sketches: the Frotoft Branch of the Orkney Traill:. by Thomas W. Traill. Published in 1902.
- A History of the Dargo Traills: by Bill Traill. Published in 1993 by the author: 1 Warwick Rd., Wodonga 3690, Victoria, Australia. 58 pages, ISBN 095933971X.
Story of Alexander Groat Traill and his brother George who settled at Dargo and Wurruk in Australia as well as their Orkney background. (This book is currently out-of-print, but a second edition is under consideration.)
- The Traills of Holland: (Papa Westray). by David Scott. Orc. 30 September 1971.
- The Traill Family of Rattar and Hobbister: by Christine Glover. Privately printed 1998 Dissertation; copy with Scottish Genealogical Sociaty.
- Old Sanday Family Tree: by Eddie Sinclair. Published: Sib Folk News, June 1999 pp14-16, September 1999 pp9-10.
- Traill Memorial Volume: by James W. H. Traill. Published 1923.
The Turfus Families of Orkney and their Descendants Worldwide: by Walt D. Custer. Published: Santa Ana, California: W.D. Custer. This books is available online at http://www.cursiter.com.
The Wallaces of Sanday, Orkney, Scotland: by Walter D. Custer. Published: Santa Ana, California: W.D. Custer, 1985. This work is available on microfilm at LDS Family History Centers, reel no. 0994074, as well as in the Kirkwall Library. It is also available online at http://www.cursiter.com.
The Warrens of Kirkwall: by Charles Addington. Published: Sib Folk News, December 2001 pp22-23.
- The Watt line : a short history of the Watts of Orkney, Arbroath, and Gamrie, and related families: by Flora Euphemia Watt. Published: St. Johns, Michigan : F.E. Watt, 1984. 453 p.,illustrated. Available at the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- The Watts of Breckness. by David Scott. Orc. 23 July 1970; copy in Orkney Archives D31/20/2/47.
Family history of the Wishart family of Scotland, Australia, and Thames, New Zealand: by Mary Wishart. Descendants of George and Mary who emigrated to Auckland, N.Z. in 1850. Not necessarily an Orkney line.
The Wylies of Burray: by Joan M Bourne. Published: Sib Folk News, December 1999 p 12.