Open a form to report problems or contribute information
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"EDAY, one of the North Orkney Islands, Scotland. The quondam parish of Ead includes the island of Fairay, and several small islands, among which are the Holm of Fairay, the Red Holm, the Calf of Eday, the Little Green Holm, and the Muckle Green Holm. The island of Eday is situated between Sanday and Westray, and is about 5 miles long by 1½ wide. Its surface, like that of the surrounding islets, is chiefly devoted to pasture. There are good harbours on the W. and on the N.E. sides of the island. This parish is in the presbytery of the North Isles, and synod of Orkney. Further ecclesiastical particulars will be given under Stronsay, with which Eday is united. Here is a parish church, built in 1816, also an United Presbyterian church and a Baptist meeting-house, two private and an Assembly school. This parish belonged to Earl Kinclaven in the 17th century; but he dying without issue, his title of Earl Carrick became extinct. The Great Seter, an upright stone standing here, is about 16 feet high. There are remains of Picts' dwellings and tumuli. Good building stone is quarried."
"FERNESS BAY and HEAD, on the W. of Eday Island, North Orkneys, Scotland, in the Firth of Westray."
"PHARAY, a parish and island in the district of the North Isles of Orkney, county Orkney and Shetland, coast of Scotland. It is in conjunction with Eday parish."