We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
FIRTH WITH STENNESS
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"FIRTH WITH STENNESS, a parish in the district of Mainland, Orkney Islands, Scotland, 5 miles W. of Kirkwall, its post town. It is 9 miles long by 4 wide, and includes Holm Islands and Damsay, lying in Firth Bay, which indents the E. coast. The surface is a series of hilly moors, with a loch in the W. This parish is in the presbytery of Cairston, and synod of Orkney. The minister has a stipend of £157. There is a church at Firth, built in 1813, and one at Stenness, built in 1793. Here are two Free churches, an United Presbyterian church, a parish school and two Society schools. There are Druidical remains in the Stenness division. Slate abounds."
FINSTOWN, village in the parish of Firth, on the shores of Bay of Firth.
"DAMSA, (or Damsay), one of the islands of the Orkney group, forming part of the parish of Firth, Scotland. It is a beautiful little island, in the Bay of Firth, less than a mile in circumference, and now used for pasturing sheep.
"STENNESS, an ancient parish in Pomona, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland, now joined to Firth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]