We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HARRAY, a parish in the island of Pomona, district of Mainland Orkney, off the N. coast of Scotland, 3 miles N.W. of Kirkwall. It lies between Harray and Stennis lochs, and is joined for ecclesiastical purposes with Birsay. The parish is 6 miles in length by 4 broad, and the surface mossy. The village is small, but neatly built of stone. The parish is in the presbytery of Cairston. Tho minister's stipend, with Birsay, is £218. There is a pillar of stone, supposed to be very ancient, and many Pict's houses."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]