Towns & Parishes
"HOLM, (and Paplay) a parish in Mainland Orkney, coast of Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Kirkwall, its post town. It contains the village of St. Mary, and consists of the S.E. part of the island of Pomona and the island of Lamholm. The Pomona district is bounded inland by Kirkwall and St. Andrew's. It lies in the Holm Sound between the headlands of Howquoy and Roseness. Its size is 5 miles long by 2 broad. The coast is rocky, but the interior consists of a tolerably good soil. This parish is in the presbytery of Kirkwall, and synod of Orkney. The minister has a stipend of £159. The church, standing on the S. side of the island, was built in 1818, and there is an United Presbyterian church. The ancient districts of Holm and Paply form the present parish. Captain Graham, of Gream Hall, is the principal proprietor.
"PAPLAY, an ancient parish in the district of Mainland, Orkney, Isles of Orkney and Shetland, coast of Scotland. It is in conjunction with Holm."
"ST. MARY, a hamlet in the parishes of Holm and Paplay, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland. It is a small fishing village on the mainland of Pomona."
"LAMBHOLM, an island situated in the centre of Holm Sound, and belonging to the Orkney Group, Scotland. Its form is almost that of a circle, measuring about 3 miles round."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]