"HOY, one of the principal islands of the Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland. It lies to the S.W. of the Orkney cluster, about 15 miles S.W. of Kirkwall. It is a little over 13 miles in length, and its average breadth is between 3 and 5 miles. Hoy Sound separates it from Pomona. The northern portion of the island is hilly, Wardhill being the principal elevation, which rises 1,600 feet above sea-level. In the S. the island is indented by the natural harbour of Longhope. The soil consists chiefly of clay and peat. The greater part of the surface is disposed of in pasture land.
The coast from Longhope Head northerly abounds in stupendous rocky formations. Here stands an immense insulated rock, which from its fanciful shape, resembling the human form, is termed the "Old Man of Hoy". The Dwarfic Stone is a spacious cavern consisting of two or three chambers. This island offers a wide field for the naturalist, botanist, or geologist. The northern portion of the island consists of the parishes of Hoy and Graemsay, and the southern of those of Walls and Flotta. The grouse, hawk, falcon, and eagle all frequent this locality. The parish of Hoy has Stromness for its post town. It is in the presbytery of Caiston and synod of Orkney. The minister has a stipend of £158. The church was erected about the year 1780. Here are two non-parochial schools."
"GRAEMSAY, one of the Orkney Islands, in the parish and sound of Hoy, Scotland, 2 miles S. of Stromness. It is 11 mile long by 1 broad, and has a flat surface, consisting of good soil. Here are a chapel and a school. Two lighthouses were erected in 1851 for guiding ships through Hoy Sound."
"FARA, a small island lying a little S.E. of Hoy, among the Orkney Islands, Scotland."