GENUKI Home page
Orkney Orkney   Contents Contents &
Search
  Parishes Orkney
Towns & Parishes

SANDAY

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SANDAY, (or Sanda), one of the N. islands of the Orkney group, Scotland, 1 mile E. of Eday, and 6 miles E. of Westray. It is situated betwixt Stronsay and North Ronaldshay, and is a sub-port to Kirkwall. It contains the parishes of Burness, Cross, and Lady. It extends in length about 12 miles from N.E. to S.W., with a mean breadth of 1 mile. It is one of the most extensive of the N. Isles of Orkney. The surface is of an even character, having many extended points with bays running a considerable way inland. On its E. coast it is low and flat, but on the W. side is a hilly ridge rising to an altitude of 200 feet. The soil is light and sandy, but generally productive, when well manured with seaweed.

The principal points along the coast are, Tafstness, Start Point, upon which is a lighthouse, Tressness, Spurness, Holms of Ire, and Otterswick, Stywick, and Rooswick Bays. The two principal harbours are Kettletofit on the S. side and Otterswick on the N. side of the island, which is watered by several lakes, the largest being about 2 miles in circumference. The disadvantages under which the island labours are the scarcity of fuel, and the inundations caused by easterly gales during spring tide. The coasts abound with fish, and the shores produce abundance of kelp. The air is moist and raw, but not unhealthy.

"BURNESS, a joint parish with Cross, in Sanday, one of the Orkney Islands, Scotland."

"CROSS, (and Burness) a united parish in the island of Sanday, Orkney Islands. Cross comprises the southern, and Burness the north-western peninsula of the island. This parish is in the presbytery of North Isles, in the synod of Orkney, and in the patronage of the Earl of Zetland. The stipend of the minister is 210.

"KETTLETOFT, a small bay on the W. side of Sanday Island, Orkney Isles, coast of Scotland."

"LADY, a parish comprising the north-eastern part of the Isle of Sanday, one of the Orkney group, Scotland. It is bounded on all sides by the sea, except on its western, where it is bounded by the parish of Cross. Its size is about 9 square miles, one-fourth of which is pasture or under cultivation, and the rest either heath or waste. Its coast is deeply indented, and its bays are Otterswick and Stywick. At Start-point, to the extreme N.E., is a lighthouse. The parish is in the presbytery of North Isles, and synod of Orkney. The minister's stipend is 158. At Sanday there are a United Presbyterian church, a Free church, and a parochial school. Here are many Picts' houses and barrows."

"OTTERS WICK, a bay on the coast of Sanday Island, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland. It lies between Tafts Ness and the Reve Rocks."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Valid HTML 4.0! Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Page created 6 May 2004, Gaz3 v01.34 by Rosemary Lockie]