Sanday, with Cross, Burness and Lady
- Some Accounts of Sanday: Edited by Eddie Sinclair, 2003. Reprints of 1529,1791,1841 and 1957 statistical accounts of the island, plus a similar account for 2000.
- The Burness Crofters: by B. W. Tulloch. "In the Making of Orkney" series. 1996.
- Island Images: Memories of Sanday: by Bessie Skea. Published 1982 by Stromness Orkney Press Ltd.
Recollections of people and places in the North end of Sanday.
- Sanday Church History: by Rev. Alexander Goodfellow. Published 1912, reprinted as A Visit to the Sanday: 1978, with political Introduction.
- Faraway Island: by William Towrie Cutt. Published by Andrew Deutch. 1977.
Account of a childhood spent in Sanday.
- Orkney Folklore and Sea Legends: by Walter Traill Dennison. Published by The Orkney Press.
Stories and legends written in old Orcadian dialect.
Old Parish Registers - Cross & Burness
- Baptisms, 1758-1854. The entries specify the division of the united parish in
which the births occurred. Carefully kept prior to 1803. Irregular and
- Marriages, 1828-1854. No entries 1822-37, except four entries for 1827
entered in the index to the baptisms.
- Burials. No entries.
Old Parish Registers - Lady
Other chuurch records (held at Orkney Archives in Kirkwall).
- Baptisms, 1735-1854. No entries 1785-90. Incomplete 1793-98.
- Marriages, 1818-1854.
- Burials, 1831-41.
- Ref: OCR/KC/7: Cross and Burness Kirk, Sanday: Baptisms 1704-1707, Proclamations of marriage banns 1899-1958, Marriages 1711-1733, Communion Roll 1943-1956.
- Ref: OCR/FC/24: Sanday Free Kirk/West Kirk: Baptisms 1921-1959.
- Ref: OCR/FC/25: Sanday United Presb. Kirk/East Kirk: Baptisms 1814-1818, Communion Roll 1909-1959.
- Ref: OCR/KC/15: Sanday (formerly Lady) Kirk: Baptisms 1892-1901, Marriages 1895, Proclamations of marriage banns 1865-1932 (included in first volume are loose pages listing marriages 1812-1818), Roll of Communicants 1959-1997.
of births, deaths, and marriages for the island of Sanday.
The Registrar's records extend back only as far as 1st January 1855 when registration became compulsory in Scotland.
Orknet has a page which contains a description and pictures of
Orkney Family History Researchers are engaged in researching family histories in Sanday (with Cross, Burness, and Lady) and all other parishes in Orkney. All of them are willing to share the results of their research with others.
help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 10 May, 2004 - Robert C. Marwick]