"Ronaldshay, South, island and insular par., Orkney, par. (including also the islands of Burray, Hunda, Swona, and Pentland Skerries), 15,062 ac., pop. 3314; island, pop. 2557. South Ronaldshay island is the most southerly of the Orkneys with the exception of Pentland Skerries, is 7¾ miles in extreme length and from 1½ to 6 miles broad, and reaches an alt. of 389 ft.; at Burwick, in SW. of island, is the church of St Mary's, South Ronaldshay quoad sacra par., pop. 695."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887