Towns & Parishes
"ST. ANDREW'S, a parish in Mainland or Pomona, one of the principal of the Orkney Isles, Scotland, 4 miles to the E. of Kirkwall. It is situated on a peninsula, bounded by the bay of Inganess and Deer Sound, and is now united as a quoad sacra parish with Deerness. The surface is mostly flat, and the soil marshy and unproductive. Fishing is the employment of a large number of the inhabitants. The living, value £208, is in the presbytery of Kirkwall, and in the patronage of the Earl of Zetland. The parish church was rebuilt in 1801, and enlarged in 1827, so that it can accommodate half the population at once. There is also a Free church. Cattle fairs are held at Knockhall and Occlester, at Candlemas, Midsummer, and Martinmas.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]