St. Andrews and Deerness 1877-1977: Edited by Jeanette MS Forsythe. Published 1977. 68pp.
Anthology of recollections to commemorate centenary of primary school.
Old Parish Registers
Other chuurch records (held at Orkney Archives in Kirkwall).
- Baptisms, 1657-1854. No entries July 1671-May 1672, two entries April
1674-Sep 1678, no entries Aug 1681-June 1683 or Aug 1687-Mar 1689, two entries
in 1691, no entries June 1693-May 1695 or July 1698-Aug 1700, only three
entries Dec 1716-July 1729, irregular entries 1740-44 and after Dec 1752, not
regularly kept after 1796.
- Marriages, 1657-1854. No entries Dec 1674-Oct 1676 and Feb 1679-Jan 1680,
one entry Feb 1684-Jan 1690. No entries during the following periods: July
1698-Nov 1700, Jan 1717-Oct 1746, Dec 1751-Dec 1752, Dec 1765-Dec 1766, Nov
1781-May 1783, Mar 1795-Aug 1805.
- Burials, 1792-1843. No entries April 1795-July 1805, after which only a
record of Mortcloth Dues.
- Ref: OCR/FC/23: St. Andrews Free Kirk/South Kirk: Baptisms 1843-1949, Communion Roll 1919-1949.
- Ref: OCR/KC/20: St. Andrews Kirk: Baptisms 1881-1949, Proclamations of marriage banns 1881-1949, Communion Roll 1875-1949.
of births, deaths, and marriages for the parish of St. Andrews.
The Registrar's records extend back only as far as 1st January 1855 when registration became compulsory in Scotland.
Some descriptive and pictorial material is provided here by courtesy of Orknet
Orkney Family History Researchers are engaged in researching family histories in St. Andrews and all other parishes in Orkney. All of them are willing to share the results of their research with others.
Marion McLeod has on her website a collection of old photographs which are thought to be of a Spence family in Tankerness. She is willing to share these with others.
help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 10 May, 2004 - Robert C. Marwick]