Towns & Parishes
"STRONSAY, (and Eday) a united parish in the North Isles of Orkney, Scotland. It is separated from the mainland by Stronsay Frith, and comprises the villages of Ladykirk, St. Nicholas, and St. Peter's, with Holm of Midgarth, and Papa-Stronsay Islands. See Eday."
"LADYKIRK, a parish in the island of Stronsay, one of the Orkney group, Scotland. It comprises the S.W. portion of the island. Its size is 4 miles by 2½. It is united with the parishes of Eday and Stronsay."
"LINGA, an islet belonging to the parish of Stronsay and Eday, in the Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland. It is situated on the N.W. of the island of Stronsay, and is occupied by one family."
"MILL-BAY, a bay on the E. side of Stronsay, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland."
"NORTH PHARAY, an island in the parish of Stronsay and Eday, Orkney and Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland. It is situated near Holm of Pharay. It extends about 2 miles in length by half a mile in breadth. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cod and herring fisheries.
"ODNESS, a fishing station under Odness Head, E. side of Stronsay Island, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland, opposite the Boa rock."
"ROUSHOLM, a bay in Stronsay Island, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland. It is 2 miles by 1, and has good anchorage inside Rousholm Head."
"ST. PETER'S, a parish on the N. side of Stronsay Island, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland. It comprises Whitehall and Holm-of-Midgarth, with Papa Stronsay Islands, which see.
"WHITEHALL, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter's, Stronsay, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland, on the north-western side of the island."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]