- The Stronsay Meal Mill: by Gail Cooper. Published Kirkwall 1995. 40pp.
Includes Chalmers family tree.
- Auld Peedie Kirks: by W. M. Gibson. Published Kirkwall 1992. 111pp.
Local church history.
- Tales of an Orkney Island - Stronsay: by W. M. Gibson. Published by B.P.P., Kirkwall. 1987. 164pp.
A perceptive history. with lists of inhabitants.
- The Herring Fishing - Stronsay: by W. M. Gibson. Published by B.P.P., Edinburgh. 1984.
A classic local history on a once great industry.
- Against the Wind: by Douglas Sutherland. Published by Wm. Heinemann. 1966.
Tales of a childhood spent in Stronsay.
Old Parish Registers
Other chuurch records (held at Orkney Archives in Kirkwall).
- Baptisms, 1743-1854. No entries Dec 1770-June 1797.
- Marriages, 1801-1854.
- Burials, 1801-1854.
- Ref: OCR/FC/32: Stronsay United Presb. Kirk/St. John's United Free Kirk: Baptisms 1800-1818 and 1836-1854, Marriages 1800-1811 and 1837-1854.
of births, deaths, and marriages for the island of Stronsay.
The Registrar's records extend back only as far as 1st January 1855 when registration became compulsory in Scotland.
Orknet has a page which contains a description and pictures of
Orkney Family History Researchers are engaged in researching family histories in Stronsay and all other parishes in Orkney. All of them are willing to share the results of their research with others.
help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 10 May, 2004 - Robert C. Marwick]