"Westray, island, Westray and Papa Westray par., Orkney, separated from Rousay island by Westray Firth, 23 miles by sea N. of Kirkwall, pop. 2200; P.O.; is 10 miles long and from ½ mile to 6½ miles broad. "
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
"Papa Westray, an island of Westray parish, Orkney, 1½ mile E of the northern part of Westray island, and 22½ miles in a direct line N by E of Kirkwall, but 25 by the shortest sea-route. Its utmost length, from N by E to S by W, is 4⅜ miles; and its breadth varies between ½ and 1⅛ mile. The surface culminates in North Hill (156 feet), beyond which the northern extremity forms a bold and lofty headland, the Mull of Papa, well known to mariners, and pierced with a cavern, from 48 to 60 feet wide, and upwards of 70 feet high. ...
The southern half is partly occupied by a freshwater lake, the Loch of St Tredwall (7 x 3½ furl.), on an islet in which are ruins of a pre-Reformation chapel. The soil, to the extent of some 1000 acres, is very fertile, and under regular cultivation. Midway along the E coast is a pastoral islet, the Holm of Papa, which is denizened by myriads of sea-fowl. The whole island of Papa Westray, with the exception of a small glebe, belongs to a single proprietor, Thomas Traill (b. 1822; suc. 1840), who holds 5780 acres, valued at £1629 per annum. His mansion, Holland, stands near the middle of the island, in which are also a remarkably large Picts' house and three vitrified cairns, and which was the scene of the death of Ronald, Earl of Orkney, by the hand of Thorfinn, Earl of Caithness. Anciently a separate and independent parish, Papa Westray, though now annexed to Westray, has still its own parish church, besides a Free church and a public school. Pop. (1838) 335, (1861) 392, (1871) 370, (1881) 345."
From Francis Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882-4