"EDDLESTONE, a parish, containing a post-office village of its own name, in the north of Peebles-shire. It is bounded by Edinburghshire, and by the parishes of Innerleithen, Peebles, Lyne, and Newlands ... Population of the parish in 1831, 836; in 1861, 753." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
View a Map of the Area.
Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Eddleston deaths for 1714-1854.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1713. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
The Church of Scotland records for this parish held at the National Records of Scotland (NRS reference CH2/120) include some baptisms in the years 1640-1696, deaths for 1775-1795, and proclamations of marriages for 1665-1691.
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Eddlestone is available online.