"GLENHOLM, a section of the modern united parish of Broughton, Glenholm, and Kilbucho, in Peebles-shire. It consists of a vale 2 miles broad, and nearly 7 miles long, drained by Holms water. Along one-half of its eastern boundary, it is traced and enlivened by the brilliant Tweed; and, along its northern boundary, it is separated from the parish of Stobo by Biggar water. Nowhere does it touch Broughton except at its north-west angle; but, over two-thirds of its length, it marches with Kilbucho ... In the upper part of it, at a place called Chapelgill, there was formerly a chapel. The parish-church, though now abandoned for that of the united parish situated in Kilbucho, was rebuilt so late as 1775." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
View a Map of the Area.
Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Glenholm deaths for 1822-1851.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1851 census for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1747. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Glenholm is available online.