"LYNE AND MEGGET, two parishes in Peeblesshire, widely apart in position, but mutually identical in parochial interests. The post-town is Peebles. Lyne is nearly circular, with a small square northerly projection; and is bounded on the north by Newlands, on the north-east by Harehope-burn, which divides it from Eddlestone, on the east and south-east by Meldon-burn, which divides it from Peebles, on the south-west by Lyne-water, which divides it from Stobo, and on the west by Howe-burn and Stevenston-hill, which divide it from Newlands ... Megget is distant geographically 8 miles, but along the shortest practicable path 14 miles. It lies on the southern verge of the county; and is bounded on the north by Manor, on the east and south-east by Selkirkshire, on the south-west by Dumfries-shire, on the west by Tweedsmuir, and on the north-west by Drummelzier ... Population in 1831, 156; in 1861, 134." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1649. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Lyne and Megget is available online. A description of Lyne Water is also available.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time: