"NEWLANDS, a parish, containing the post-office station of Noblehouse, in the north of Peebles-shire. It is bounded on the north by Edinburghshire, and on other sides by the parishes of Eddlestone, Lyne, Stobo, Kirkurd, and Linton ... Population in 1831, 1,078; in 1861, 987." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1677. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Archives of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the General Register Office for Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Newlands is available online.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time: