"TRAQUAIR, a parish, containing a post-office village of its own name, on the south-east border of Peebles-shire. It is bounded on the north by the Tweed, which divides it from Peebles and Innerleithen; on the west by Peebles and Selkirkshire; and on other sides by Selkirkshire. But it is so intersected by Selkirkshire as to have a large wing on the west entirely cut off, to the distance of 3 furlongs - another wing on the east, smaller but still considerable, cut off with the exception of a connecting belt of a furlong or two broad along the Tweed - and the intermediate district split asunder by a cuneiform insertion down one-half of its length ... Population in 1831, 643; in 1861, 687." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
View a Map of the Area.
Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Traquair deaths for 1818-1854.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1694. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Traquair is available online.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time: