We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Tweedsmuir

"TWEEDSMUIR, a parish in the south-western extremity of Peebles-shire. It has on its northern margin the post-office station of Crook-Inn. It is bounded by the counties of Dumfries and Lanark, and by the parishes of Drummelzier and Megget ... Population of the parish in 1831, 288; in 1861, 196."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.

Cemeteries

Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Tweedsmuir deaths for 1830-1850.

Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.

Census

Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.

Church Records

The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1644. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.

Description and Travel

In issue 23 (October 1993) of the Borders Family History Society magazine Jean Moffat's "Know your parish - Tweedsmuir" was published on pages 17-20, covering many aspects of the parish.

You can see pictures of Tweedsmuir which are provided by:

Gazetteers

A 19th century account of Tweedsmuir is available online.

Gazetteers

1868, Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published by A. Fullarton and Co

TWEEDSMUIR, a parish in the south-western extremity of Peebles-shire.  It has on its northern margin the post-office station of Crook-Inn.  It is bounded by the counties of Dumfries and Lanark, and by the parishes of Drummelzier and Megget.  It is not very far from being a regular circle of about 8¼ miles in diameter.  The surface is a congeries of mountainous hills, with narrow intervening flats and morasses.  The hills, in general, are luxuriant in verdure on the sides, and often boggy on the tops; affording on the former, rich supplies of pasture and even crops of hay, and, on the latter, a large proportion of the local supply of fuel.  They are broad-based, slow of ascent, soft in outline, and summited with table-land.  Horses can easily ascend them, and, even without difficulty, bring down loads of turf.  The highest elevations are Broadlaw on the north and the culminating point of Hartfell on the south.  See the articles BROADLAW and HARTFELL.  The predominant rocks are greywacke and greywacke slate.  The soil in many places is a strong thick mould, formed of earth and moss; and that of the arable parts is generally a light loam, incumbent on gravel and sandstone.  The river Tweed originates and has its first 10 miles' run in the parish; and, in return, gives its name as the prenomen of that of both the district itself and several of its localities.  No fewer than about twenty-five indigenous and independent streamlets fall into it before it departs, and render it, even in this lofty land of its infancy, not altogether unimportant in volume.  The chief of these streamlets are the Core, the Fruid, the Menzion, the Tala, and the Harestone.  Gameshope-loch, about 600 feet in diameter, is probably the loftiest lochlet in the south of Scotland, and abounds in excellent dark-coloured trout.  A peculiarly fine perennial spring, called Geddes'-well, sends out a rill near the summit of Broadlaw.  The parish is as eminently pastoral in the richness of its herbage, and the prime quality of its flocks, as in the mountainousness of its physical features.  About 16,000 sheep are pastured; more than three-fourths of them Cheviots, the rest black-faced.  Only about 280 acres are in tillage; though, but for the distance and expense  of lime and other appliances, a large aggregate extent of the lower declivities of the hills might easily be subjected to the plough. 

(See more)

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Tweedsmuir has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT098244 (Lat/Lon: 55.505051, -3.429651), Tweedsmuir which are provided by:

Population

Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:

  • 1755 - 397
  • 1801 - 277
  • 1811 - 254
  • 1831 - 288
  • 1861 - 196
We are looking for somebody who can help with the maintenance of this page, which currently has a status of Pending - The section is active and has a maintainer assigned but a replacement maintainer is being sought. For more information about what helping us entails, look at our help wanted page. If you would like to consider helping us then please contact Vivienne Dunstan.