"TWEEDSMUIR, a parish in the south-western extremity of Peebles-shire. It has on its northern margin the post-office station of Crook-Inn. It is bounded by the counties of Dumfries and Lanark, and by the parishes of Drummelzier and Megget ... Population of the parish in 1831, 288; in 1861, 196." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
View a Map of the Area.
Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Tweedsmuir deaths for 1830-1850.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1644. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Archives of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the General Register Office for Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Tweedsmuir is available online.
In issue 23 (October 1993) of the Borders Family History Society magazine Jean Moffat's "Know your parish - Tweedsmuir" was published on pages 17-20, covering many aspects of the parish.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time: