"LINTON, a parish, containing the post-office village of West Linton, and the village of Carlops, in the north-west of Peebles-shire. It is bounded by the counties of Lanark and Edinburgh, and by the parishes of Newlands and Kirkurd ... Population of the parish in 1831, 1,577; and 1861, 1,534." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
View a Map of the Area.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
According to Rev. Findlater writing for the Statistical Account of Scotland in 1791, at that time out of a total of 928 people living in the parish of West Linton, 376 were members of non-conformist congregations. 339 were Burghers, 2 Antiburghers, and 35 people attended the Relief church.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1656. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registers for the Associate Congregation at West Linton are available in LDS family history centres around the world. These include christenings for the periods 1747-1754 and 1815-1832, and marriages for the period 1748-1829.
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time: