Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
ABERDALGIE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ABERDALGIE, a parish, now united with Dupplin, in the district of East Perth, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Perth. It lies on the north bank of the river Earn, which affords good fishing. Freestone is abundant, and there are some lime quarries at Milton. Dupplin Castle is the seat of the Earl of Kinnoul; it was destroyed by fire in 1827, but has been rebuilt in the Elizabethan style. The living, value £158, is in the presbytery of Perth, and in the patronage of the Earl of Kinnoul, chief heritor. The battle of Dupplin was fought here in 1332, between Baliol and the Earl of Mar. The parish was the estate of the Oliphants from the reign of David II. to 1625, when the Earl of Morton sold it to the ancestors of the Earl of Kinnoul."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]