"ABERNETHY, village in Perthshire, and parish, partly also in Fife. The village stands 73/4 miles south east of Perth, was anciently a seat of Culdees, and a capital of Pictavia; contains an ancient round tower, similar to the famous round towers of Ireland; presents now a plain, modern appearance, and has a post-office with a money order department, under Newburgh, a railway station, an Established church, a United Presbyterian church, and a recently enlarged public school for 362 scholars. Pop. 906. The parish contains also Aberargie village, includes Mugdrum Island, and is nearly 5 miles long and about 4 miles broad. Acres in Perthshire, 7577; in Fife, 1967. Real property in 1880-81, & 12,788 and £2343. Pop. 1586 and 128. About one-third of the surface is low, rich land around and near the confluence of the Earn and the Tay; and the rest is part of the Ochill Hills, cloven by Glenfarg. The seats are Carpow, Ayton, and Carey; and some antiquities are Balvaird Castle, remains of a Roman camp, and vestiges of a vitrified fort."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882