"ABERNETHY, village in Perthshire, and parish, partly also in Fife. The village stands 73/4 miles south east of Perth, was anciently a seat of Culdees, and a capital of Pictavia; contains an ancient round tower, similar to the famous round towers of Ireland; presents now a plain, modern appearance, and has a post-office with a money order department, under Newburgh, a railway station, an Established church, a United Presbyterian church, and a recently enlarged public school for 362 scholars. Pop. 906. The parish contains also Aberargie village, includes Mugdrum Island, and is nearly 5 miles long and about 4 miles broad. Acres in Perthshire, 7577; in Fife, 1967. Real property in 1880-81, & 12,788 and £2343. Pop. 1586 and 128. About one-third of the surface is low, rich land around and near the confluence of the Earn and the Tay; and the rest is part of the Ochill Hills, cloven by Glenfarg. The seats are Carpow, Ayton, and Carey; and some antiquities are Balvaird Castle, remains of a Roman camp, and vestiges of a vitrified fort."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.
The interment registers for both are available at the local council offices in Kinross. Please consult the cemeteries page
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in South Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 326. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
|GRO(S) Ref. No.|
|326/1||B 1690-1733||M 1690-1727||D 1690-1727|
|326/2||B 1749-1819||M 1783-94||D 1783-94|
Marriages 1845-1917 are in the National Archives of Scotland, Ref: CH2 743/5
- The transcription of the section for Abernethy from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.