"ALYTH. Town on east border of Perthshire, and a parish, partly also on west border of Forfarshire. The town stands on a burn of its own name , at terminus of branch railway, 5 1/4 miles north-west of the Alyth Junction and about 5 north-east of Blairgowrie, carries on woolen and linen manufacture, and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, under Meigle, 3 banking offices, an Established Norman church of 1839, Free, United Presbyterian, and Episcopal churches, and 2 public schools with about 238 scholars. Pop. 2377. – The parish is about 15 miles long, and comprises 19,972 acres in Perthshire, and 3324 in Forfarshire. Real property in 1880-81 of the Perthshire part, £23,766; the Forfarshire part, £1296. Pop. 3521. A tract of about 15 square miles is part of Strathmore, low and fertile, and the other tract ascends thence toward the Grampians, and are variously cultivated ground, moor, moss, and mountain. Chief objects are Mount Blair Mountain, King's Seat Hill, Sir James H. Ramsay's seat of Bamff House, Balharry and Jordanstone mansions, Inverquiech Castle ruins, and a notable Pictish entrenchment. There are 4 schools for about 562 scholars, and one of them, for about 300, is new."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
The interment register is available at the local council offices in Blairgowrie. Please consult the cemeteries page
There are pre 1855 inscriptions available for all in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 328 a. From 1871 it is 328 b. Please consult the county page for general information.
An index for 1851 is available from Tay Valley FHS.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
|Film Ref. No.|
|328/1||B 1623-1707||M 1623-1707||D 1624-51|
|328/2||B 1712-65||M 1712-54||D-|
|328/3||B 1766-1819||M 1712-54||D 1786-1819|
|328/6||B 1820-54||M 1820-54||D 1820-54|
- The transcription of the section for Alyth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.