"ARDOCH, parish containing Braco and Greenloaning villages, Perthshire. Acres, 22,127. Pop. 1102. The surface adjoins the watershed between Strathallan and Strathearn, and is drained by the Knaik to Allan river. Ardoch House, and a Roman camp within that mansion's grounds, are chief features. The Roman camp is best preserved and most noteable in Great Britain; has been the subject of much controversy as to its connection or non-connection with the 'Mons Grampus,' comprises 3 oblongs of 420 by 375, of 1060 by 900, and of 2850 by 1590 feet; underwent considerable damage by the formation of General Wade's military roads, yet retains distinct features of its original conformation, and posesses additional interest in the existence, for miles around it, of remains or traces of Caledonian forts or entrenchments. The churches are Established, Free, and United Presbyterian; and there are 3 public schools for 215 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882