"ARDOCH, parish containing Braco and Greenloaning villages, Perthshire. Acres, 22,127. Pop. 1102. The surface adjoins the watershed between Strathallan and Strathearn, and is drained by the Knaik to Allan river. Ardoch House, and a Roman camp within that mansion's grounds, are chief features. The Roman camp is best preserved and most noteable in Great Britain; has been the subject of much controversy as to its connection or non-connection with the 'Mons Grampus,' comprises 3 oblongs of 420 by 375, of 1060 by 900, and of 2850 by 1590 feet; underwent considerable damage by the formation of General Wade's military roads, yet retains distinct features of its original conformation, and posesses additional interest in the existence, for miles around it, of remains or traces of Caledonian forts or entrenchments. The churches are Established, Free, and United Presbyterian; and there are 3 public schools for 215 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland by Rev. John Wilson, 1882
The interment register is available at the local council offices in Kinross. Please consult the cemeteries page.
There are pre 1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in South Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 328b Please consult the county page for general information.
N.B. Ardoch was only enumerated seperately from 1871 onwards. For 1841, 1851 and 1861, see Muthill.
Ardoch became a registration district in 1871. Prior to that it was part of Muthill.
- The transcription of the section for Ardoch from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.