"AUCHTERARDER, town and parish in south-east Perthshire, The town stands about a mile from a railway station of its own name, 14 miles south-west of Perth; dates from ancient times, and was once a royal burgh; passed through long declension and much disaster, but eventually became a prosperous seat of manufacture; figured in the first and not the least of the church coflicts which led to the Disruption of 1843; comprises a main street upwards of a mile long, and has a head post office with all departments, 2 banking offices, 2 hotels, a towered town-hall of 1872, Established, Free, United Presbyterian and Evangelical Union churches, and 2 public schools. Pop. 2666. - The parish contains also Aberuthven, Smithyhaugh, and Borland-Park villages, and measures nearly 8 miles in length and about 3 miles in breadth. Acres, 11,181. Real property in 1880-81, £19,452. Pop. 3648. The northern section undulates or declines to the river Earn, and is nearly all arable; and the southern section rises toward the summit line of the Ochill Hills. Cheaf seats are Auchterarder Castle and Auchterarder House; and a chief antiquity is the fragment of a strong castle of Malcolm Canmore. There are 5 schools for 671 scholars, and 2 of them, for 360, are new."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.