"AUCHTERARDER, town and parish in south-east Perthshire, The town stands about a mile from a railway station of its own name, 14 miles south-west of Perth; dates from ancient times, and was once a royal burgh; passed through long declension and much disaster, but eventually became a prosperous seat of manufacture; figured in the first and not the least of the church coflicts which led to the Disruption of 1843; comprises a main street upwards of a mile long, and has a head post office with all departments, 2 banking offices, 2 hotels, a towered town-hall of 1872, Established, Free, United Presbyterian and Evangelical Union churches, and 2 public schools. Pop. 2666. - The parish contains also Aberuthven, Smithyhaugh, and Borland-Park villages, and measures nearly 8 miles in length and about 3 miles in breadth. Acres, 11,181. Real property in 1880-81, £19,452. Pop. 3648. The northern section undulates or declines to the river Earn, and is nearly all arable; and the southern section rises toward the summit line of the Ochill Hills. Cheaf seats are Auchterarder Castle and Auchterarder House; and a chief antiquity is the fragment of a strong castle of Malcolm Canmore. There are 5 schools for 671 scholars, and 2 of them, for 360, are new."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
- Auchterarder Churchyard
- Auchterarder Cemetery
The interment registers for both are available at the local council offices in Crieff. Please consult the cemeteries page.
There are pre 1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in South Perthshire.
GRO(S) Ref. No. is 329. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
- Church of Scotland (OPR)
|GRO(S) Ref. No.|
|329/1||B 1661-1737||M 1668-1737||D-|
|329/2||B 1738-58||M 1738-58||D-|
|329/3||B 1759-1819||M 1759-1802||D-|
|329/4||B 1820-541||M 1759-1802||D-|
From the Register of Neglected Entries:
1. Marriage entry for 1826 can be found at end of that year's births, another for 1827 is on the last page of births for 1837
2. Copies of National Archives of Scotland Ref. CH2/20/8 - CH/2/20/11
- St Kessog's Episcopal Church
1893-1983: registers inc baptisms, marriages and burials,
minutes, accounts, plans and drawings and misc papers incl
amalgamation with St James, Muthill
Private records, Ref. NRA(S) 2706 - enquiries to:
National Register of Archives (Scotland)
HM General Register House
Edinburgh EH1 3YY
- The transcription of the section for Auchterarder from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.