AUCHTERGAVEN, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"AUCHTERGAVEN, (or Ochtergaen), a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland, 8 miles to the N.W. of Perth. It is situated in a hilly moorland country on the southwest bank of the river Tay, having Birnam Hill at its northern extremity. It comprises part of the village and quoad sacra parish of Stanley, the postal village of Bankfoot, and those of Carnie Hill, Waterloo, and several other hamlets The old parish of Logiebride is incorporated with Auchtergaven. In the village of Stanley is an extensive cotton-mill in which about 1,000 hands are employed. The same village has a station on a branch of the Scottish Midland Junction railway. The northern part of the parish lies among the Lower Grampian mountains. Many of these rise to an elevation exceeding 1,000 feet. Birnam Hill, Craig-Obney, Craig-Gibbon, and Tullybelton Hill, are the loftiest points. Several small streams run through the parish. There are quarries of slate and good building stone. The living, value £179, with a manse and glebe, is in the presbytery of Dunkeld, and in the patronage of the crown. The principal mansions are Stanley House, the old seat of the Nairne family, recently repaired and enlarged, and standing amidst magnificent scenery on the bank of the Tay, Airlywight House, and the House of Tullybelton. Part of an old tower is standing near the river at Stanley, which is conjectured To have been a religious house connected with Dunfermline Abbey. Auchtergaven has a claim to kindly remembrance as the birthplace of the young poet, Robert Nicoll, who died in 1837, at the age of 23. One of his songs is entitled, "The Forik o' Ochtergaen." A fair is held here on the second Friday in November. The parish extends over an area of 19,000 acres, chiefly moorland."
"BANKFOOT, a village in the parish of Auchtergaven, in the county of Perth, Scotland, not far from Auchtergaven."
"CARNIE HILL, a village in the parish of Auchtergaven, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 8 miles to the N. of Perth. The village is of modern growth."
"STANLEY, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Auchtergaven and Redgorton, county Perth, Scotland, 6 miles N. of Perth, and 9 S. of Dunkeld. It is a junction station on the Highland and Scottish North-Eastern railways. It is situated near Linn-of-Campsey fall, on the right bank of the river Tay. This village, which is considerable, was founded in 1784, and was named in honour of the daughter of James Stanley, Earl of Derby, who married a brother of one of the dukes of Athol. It chiefly owes its prosperity to the cotton manufacture which was established here at the end of the last century. The living is in the presbytery of Perth, and in the patronage of the Stanley Company. The stipend of the minister is about £150. The church, which has a tower 85 feet in height, was erected in 1828, at an outlay of £4,000, defrayed by the Stanley Company. There is also a chapel belonging to the Free Church. The principal seat is Stanley House, formerly occupied by Lord Nairn. A short distance from this mansion are the ruins of Inchbervicarage"
"WATERLOO, a village in the parish of Auchtergaven, county Perth, Scotland, 1½ mile N. of Bankfort and Cairniehill."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use