BALQUHIDDER, village and parish in south-west of Perthshire. The village stands near foot of Loch Voil, 1 3/4 mile west of King's House railway station, and 12 1/2 north-west of Callander, and has a post office under Crieff, a handsome parochial church of 1855, a Free church, a public school with about 61 scholars, and a churchyard, containing the grave and rude monument of Rob Roy. - The parish contains also the villages og Lochearnhead and Strathyre, and is about 18 miles long and 6 1/2 broad. Acres, 54,675. Real property in 1880-81, £8832. Pop., quoad civilia, 759; quoad sacra, 627. The outline is somewhat triangular, and projects a long acute angle to the west. The borders, except at the head of Loch Earn and upper part of Loch Lubnaig, consist of portions of the Grampians, the song celebrated 'Braes o' Balquhidder.' The chief part of the interior is strath, watered by Loch Doine, Loch Voil, and the streams running thence to Loch Lubnaig. The seats are Stronvar, Edinchip, and Edinample.
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
There are pre 1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in South Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 331. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
- Church of Scotland (OPR)
|GRO(S) Ref. No.|
|331/1||B 1696-1820||M 1710-24||D-|
|331/2||B 1724-41||M 1727-1819||D-|
|331/3||B 1820-54||M 1820-54||D-|
- The transcription of the section for Balquhidder from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.