BENDOCHY, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BENDOCHY, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland, 6 miles to the N. of Blairgowrie. It is situated in a pastoral district on the banks of the rivers Isla and Ericht, near the Grampian mountains. Its post town is Cupar-Angus. Sandstone is quarried, and blocks of granite, gneiss, &c., are found scattered over the surface. The living, of the value of £252, is in the presbytery of Meigle, and in the patronage of the crown. Several cairns with urns and other ancient relics have been found here."
"CUPAR GRANGE, a village in the parish of Bendochy, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 58 miles from Edinburgh."
"MONKMIRE, a lake on the border of the parishes of Blairgowrie and Bendochy, county Perth, Scotland. It is about 1 mile in circumference, and was formerly a shallow reedy pool with rich marl at its bottom, but this has been excavated for manuring purposes."
"PERSIE, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Bendochy, county Perth, Scotland. It is situated near Cupar-Angus. The parish is in the presbytery of Meigle, and in the synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the communicants. The minister has a stipend of £70. The chapel was erected about ninety years ago."
"ST. FINK, a quondam hamlet in the parish of Bendochy, county Perth, Scotland, 3 miles E.N.E. of Blairgowrie. There are remains of an ancient chapel, which was dedicated to. St. Fink."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use