BLACKFORD - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"BLACKFORD, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland, 6 miles to the S. of Nuthill. It is a station on the Scottish Central railway, 18 miles from Perth. It is situated at the foot of the Ochil hills, which extend into the south part of the parish. The surface and soil are of various character. The small rivers Allan, Devon, and Ruthven run through the parish, which contains also several small lakes. Freestone and sandstone are obtained here. The living, of the value of £207, is in the presbytery of Auchterarder, in the patronage of Murray of Abercairnie. There is also a Free church. In the immediate vicinity is Ardoch and its famous camp, and in the parish are traces of several entrenchments, cairns, and remains of the castles of Kincardine and Tullibardine, the former containing the tombs of the Dukes of Montrose, and the latter being an ancient residence of the Murrays. Here are also some remains of two ancient chapels. A fair for the sale of cattle is held on the third Wednesday in October. The parish extends about 9 miles in length and 4 miles in breadth."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 29 Nov 2010 - 10:26 by Mel Lockie]