"Blair-Athole, village and parish in Athole district, Perthshire. The village stands 35¼ miles north-north-west of Perth, and has a head post office with money order and telegraph departments, a railway station, a banking office, a large ornate hotel, Established, Free, and Baptist churches, and a public school with about 163 scholars. - The parish is about 27 miles long and 15 miles broad, and comprises 181,114 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £21,051. Pop., quoad civilia, 1742; quoad sacra, 1687. Strathgarry, from Struan Point to Killiecrankie Pass, is the mainly inhabited portion; Glentilt, Glenfender, Glenerichkie, and part of Strathtummel include other portions of low ground; nearly all the rest of the area is filled with the Grampians; and the whole has beem summarily noted in our article on Athole. Blair Castle, the seat of the Duke of Athole, is a conspicuous feature; and Lude and Auchleeks are the chief other residences. An Episcopalian church is at Bridge of Tilt. There are 6 schools with accomodation for 358 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.