BLAIR ATHOLL, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BLAIR ATHOLL, a parish in the district of Atholl, and county of Perth, Scotland, about 80 miles to the N. of Edinburgh. It is situated among the Grampian mountains, and consists chiefly of rugged and bleak lands, but with some beautiful and fertile plains and straths. The principal river is the rapid Garry, which receives several tributaries from the glens on each of its banks the Erockhie, the Bruar, and the Tilt. The loftiest hills are Benygloe, which rises to the height of 3,725 feet, and Ben Dearg, 3,550 feet. The view over this district from the Pass of Killiecrankie, by which it is approached from the south, is considered to be one of the finest in the country. It embraces a great variety of scenery, hill and dale, pasture and woodland, bright streams and noble seats. The parish of Blair-Atholl is very extensive, and includes the ancient parishes of Kilmavronaig, Lude, and Strowan. The living, of the value of £250, is in the presbytery of Dunkeld, in the patronage of the Duke of Atholl. The parish church is a recent structure. The old church, now in ruins, was the burial-place of Graham of Claverhouse, who fell at Killiecrankie in July, 1689. Blair Castle, the fine seat of the Duke, stands on the banks of the Tilt, near its junction with the Garry. This mansion was attacked by the Highlanders in 1746. Her Majesty the Queen visited it, and stayed several weeks here, in September, 1844. There are some picturesque waterfalls in the neighbourhood-those of the Fender, in Glen Tilt, and those of the Bruar, celebrated by Burns, near the road to Inverness. A considerable extent of ground has been planted with larch, fir, &c. Gaelic is commonly spoken here. Fairs are held for the sale of cattle on the third Wednesday in May, and at the Bridge of Tilt on the 25th June and the 20th August (old style). The parish is about 28 miles in length, by 18 miles in breadth, having an area of about 166,000 acres."
"DALNACARDOCH INN, a hamlet in the parish of Blair Atholl, in the county of Perth, 99 miles from Edinburgh, and 9 W. of Blair Atholl. It is situated on the river Garry."
"EROCKIE WATER, a stream in the parish of Blair Atholl, county Perth, Scotland. It joins the Garryat at Strowan."
"KILMAVEONAIG, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Blair Atholl, county Perth, Scotland, 6 miles from Blair Athol, and 80 from Edinburgh. It is situated under the Grampians, near the border of Inverness. The river Garra flows through the district. The parish is in the presbytery of Lorn. The minister's stipend is £169."
"TRINAFOUR, a hamlet in the parish of Blair-Atholl, county Perth, Scotland, 10 miles W. of Blair-Atholl. It is situated in Glen Erochkie, on the road from Dalnacardoch to Kenmore. A fair for the sale of horses is held on the third Tuesday in March, old style."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use