Link to maps of Blair%20Atholl

BLAIR ATHOLL, Perthshire

"Blair-Athole, village and parish in Athole district, Perthshire. The village stands 35 1/4 miles north-north-west of Perth, and has a head post office with money order and telegraph departments, a railway station, a banking office, a large ornate hotel, Established, Free, and Baptist churches, and a public school with about 163 scholars. - The parish is about 27 miles long and 15 miles broad, and comprises 181,114 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £21,051. Pop., quoad civilia, 1742; quoad sacra, 1687. Strathgarry, from Struan Point to Killiecrankie Pass, is the mainly inhabited portion; Glentilt, Glenfender, Glenerichkie, and part of Strathtummel include other portions of low ground; nearly all the rest of the area is filled with the Grampians; and the whole has beem summarily noted in our article on Athole. Blair Castle, the seat of the Duke of Athole, is a conspicuous feature; and Lude and Auchleeks are the chief other residences. An Episcopalian church is at Bridge of Tilt. There are 6 schools with accomodation for 358 scholars."

Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.


Cemeteries
Census
Church Records
Gazetteers


Cemeteries

  1. Blair Atholl Churchyard

  2. Aldclune

  3. Borenich

  4. Kilmaveonaig

  5. Struan

The interment registers for 1 and 4 are available at the local council offices in Pitlochry. Please consult the cemeteries page.

There are pre 1855 inscriptions available for all in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in South Perthshire.

Census

The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 334. Please consult the county page for general information.

Church Records

Please consult the county page for general information.

Description and Travel

Local information can be found at Blair Atholl and District Tourist Association.

Gazetteers

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Page developed by Grant Buttars]
[Last major update 26th September 2004 - Brian Pears]
[Last updated 1 Dec 2010 - 08:41 by Mel Lockie]