[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BLAIRGOWRIE, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland, 4¾ miles to the N.E. of Cupar Angus. A branch of the Grampians extends into this parish. It is watered by several streams, the principal of which are the Isla and the Ericht. The banks of the latter are steep and lofty, and the stream has abundance of fish. The town has a good trade, and is a burgh of barony. Many of the workpeople are employed in spinning and weaving flax. The living, of the value of £223, is in the presbytery of Meigle, in the patronage of M'Pherson of Blair Gowrie, and Oliphant of Ardblair. In the vicinity is Newton House, the old residence of the M'Phersons. Fairs are held here in March, May, August, October, and November. The parish extends about 7 miles in length and 3 miles in breadth."
"MONKMIRE, a lake on the border of the parishes of Blairgowrie and Bendochy, county Perth, Scotland. It is about 1 mile in circumference, and was formerly a shallow reedy pool with rich marl at its bottom, but this has been excavated for manuring purposes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use