"CAPUTH, village in Perthshire, and parish partly also in Forfarshire. The village stands on the Tay, 5 miles south east of Dunkeld, and contains also the parochial church. - The parish contains also the post office villages of Meikleour and Spittalfield, the villages of Cragie, Fungarth, and Kincairnie, and part of the post town of Dunkeld; and consists of a main body and 9 detached districts in Perthshire, and 3 detached districts in Forfarshire. The main body lies wholly in Stormont, and measures about 13 miles in length, and from 2 to 7 miles in breadth. The Perthshire detached districts are Balholmie, within Cargill; Gormack, within Kinloch; Craigtown, within Kirkmichael; South Bandirran within Collace; and Logie, Cairns, Chapelton, Meadows, and Crofty, within Clunie; and the Forfarshire detached districts are Belbeuchly, within Auchterhouse; Broughty Castle1, near Dundee; and Fofarty, within Kinnettles. Acres in Perthshire, 18,992; in Forfarshire, 567. Real property in 1880-81 of Perthshire parts, £19,722. Pop., quoad civilia, 2096; quoad sacra, all in Perthshire, 2031. The main body comprises the greater part of the rich champaign of Stormont, and includes picturesque uplands to the north and the north-west. Roofing slate is worked and limestone abounds. The chief seats are Delvine, Meikleour, Glendelvine, Snaigow, Stenton, Kincairney, and Hillhead; and the chief antiquities are cairns, Caledonian stone circles, Pictish forts and Roman camps. There are 6 schools with accomodation for 650 scholars."
1. within Monifieth.
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
The interment register is available at the local council offices in Blairgowrie. Please consult the cemeteries page.
Dunkeld & Birnam Historical Society have published Monumental Inscriptions, available from Tay Valley FHS and others.
There are pre 1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 337. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 337/1 B 1670-1719 M 1671-1719 D- 337/2 B 1721-1819 M 1721-1819 D 1784-95 337/3 B- M- D 1722-55 337/4 B- M 1760-84 D 1755-84 337/5 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D 1833-38
- The transcription of the section for Caputh from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.