[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CARGILL, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is a station on the Scottish Midland railway. It is situated in a pleasant and cultivated district in Strathmore, between the rivers Tay and Isla, and the Sidlaw hills, and contains the villages of Cargill, Burrelton, Woodside, and Wolfhill. The surface is agreeably diversified with hill, plain, and woodland. It rises gently from the Tay, and forms a fine plain, several miles broad, at the foot of the Sidlaw hills. The Tay here runs over a dyke of basalt which crosses its bed, and forms the Linn of Campsie. The parish contains freestone, limestone, and rock-marl, which are quarried. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the valuable salmon fisheries of the Tay, and in the linen trade. The living, worth £225, is in the presbytery of Dunkeld, and in the patronage of the crown. There is also a Free church. Near the confluence of the Tay and Isla is Castlehill, the site of a Roman camp, of which there are remains. The parish is crossed by a Roman road. Ruins of a small monastery, a cell to the Abbey of Cupar, stand on a rock near the Linn of Campsie. Stobball, an old mansion on the banks of the Tay, now belonging to Lord Willoughby D'Eresby, was the seat of the Drummonds from the middle of the 14th century, and the birthplace of Annabella, consort of Robert III., and mother of James I. of Scotland, thus ancestress of the Stuarts. There are several tumuli and stone circles in the neighbourhood. The parish extends about 6 miles in length from E. to W., and 4 miles in breadth from N. to S."
"BURRELTON, a village in the parish of Cargill, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 7 miles to the N.E. of Perth. It is in a hilly district near the river Tay and the Scottish Midland Junction railway. Fairs are held on the first Tuesday in July and November."
"STRELITZ, (or Strilitz), a village in the parish of Cargill, county Perth, Scotland, 4 miles S.W. of Cupar Angus. It is situated on a small tributary of the Isla, and was named in compliment to Queen Charlotte, who was Duchess of Mecklenburgh-Strelitz. It was constructed for discharged soldiers in 1763."
"WOLFHILL, a hamlet in the parish of Cargill, county Perth, 2 miles from Cupar Augus."
"WOODSIDE, a village in the parish of Cargill, county Perth, Scotland, 2½ miles from Cupar Angus, and 13 from Perth. It is a station on the Scottish North-Eastern railway. There are a Free church and school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use