"CLUNIE, parish in Stormont district, Perthshire; averagely 4½ miles west-by-south of Blairgowrie. It contains a post office under Blairgowrie. Its length is 8½ miles; its greatest breadth 4 miles; its area 11,384 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £8018. Pop. 582. The surface comprises small part of Strathmore, and part of the Lower Grampians; ranges from above 150 to about 1800 feet of altitude above sea-level; and includes about 2500 acres of arable land. Loch Clunie, a little south-east of its centre, measures about 2½ miles in circuit, and contains a beautiful islet with an old castle belonging to the Earl of Airlie. Clunie Craig is a mass of trap rock, about 600 feet high. The chief seats are Forneth and Goudie; and the antiquities are cairns, tumuli, and vestiges of several fortifications and of 5 religious houses. The churches are Established and Free; and the public school has about 142 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.