"CLUNIE, parish in Stormont district, Perthshire; averagely 4 1/2 miles west-by-south of Blairgowrie. It contains a post office under Blairgowrie. Its length is 8 1/2 miles; its greatest breadth 4 miles; its area 11,384 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £8018. Pop. 582. The surface comprises small part of Strathmore, and part of the Lower Grampians; ranges from above 150 to about 1800 feet of altitude above sea-level; and includes about 2500 acres of arable land. Loch Clunie, a little south-east of its centre, measures about 2 1/2 miles in circuit, and contains a beautiful islet with an old castle belonging to the Earl of Airlie. Clunie Craig is a mass of trap rock, about 600 feet high. The chief seats are Forneth and Goudie; and the antiquities are cairns, tumuli, and vestiges of several fortifications and of 5 religious houses. The churches are Established and Free; and the public school has about 142 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
The interment register is available at the local council offices in Blairgowrie. Please consult the cemeteries page.
Dunkeld & Birnam Historical Society have published Monumental Inscriptions, available from Tay Valley FHS and others.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 339. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 339/1 B 1702-1819 M 1702-1819 D 1729-53 339/2 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D-
- The transcription of the section for Clunie from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.