[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"COLLACE, a parish and village in the county of Perth, Scotland. The village of Collace is 8 miles N.E. of Perth. The parish is bounded by Forfarshire on the N.E., and on the other sides by the parishes of Cargill, St. Martin's, Kinnaird, and Abernyte, and is 2 miles in length by the same in breadth. The northern division is flat and highly cultivated, while the southern division includes part of the Sidlaw hills, which, with the exception of Dunsinnan, are covered with heath. The latter hill, rising 800 feet from its base in a conical form, is verdant, and commands a fine view of Blairgowrie, Strathmore, and the Curse of Gowrie. On its summit there was formerly a stronghold, traces of which still exist. It is attributed to Macbeth, whose supposed grave is still pointed out, and known by the name of the "Long Man's Grave." Two quarries of sandstone are worked. Some of the inhabitants are employed is weaving linen, but the greater part in agricultural pursuits. The road from Perth to Cupar-Angus crosses the parish, and the Woodside station of the Scottish Midland Junction railway is within an easy distance. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £156. There is also a Free church. Dunsinnan House is the seat of J. M. Nairne, Esq., sole heritor of the parish."
"DUNSINANE HILL, in the parish of Collace, county of Perth, 9 miles N.E. of Perth, near the Sidlaw range, 1,114 or 1,084 feet high, with traces of Macbeth's castle on the top, looking towards Birnam Wood, 12 miles N.W. Near it is the Witches Stone."
"KINROSSIE, a village in the parish of Collace, county Perth, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Perth."
"SAUCHER, a village in the parish of Collace, county Perth, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Perth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]