"COMRIE, a parish in the district of Middle Perth, in the county of Perth, Scotland. The parish is about 13 miles in length, and between 9 and 10 miles in breadth, comprehending Glenartney, Glenlednock, Glentarken, and Fins-Glen at the head of Strathearn. On the sides of the Strath, looking towards the E. end of Loch Earn, and even along the loch itself, is a continued ridge of lofty hills, which, from the uncertainty of the crops by intense frost and heavy rains, are mostly appropriated to the pasturage of sheep. Few districts display more variety of wild Highland scenery than Comrie, with its rivers, mountains, and lake, and Gallic-speaking population. The chief rivers are the Earn and Uchil, the former of which flows into Loch Earn, a beautiful expanse of water, 8 miles in length, the banks of which are covered with natural wood of great value; and extensive plantations have also been made in different parts of the parish. The loftiest summits are Benchonzie and Benvoirlich, rising respectively to the heights of 2,900 and 3,300 feet above the level of the sea. The rocks are mica slate, and other primitive rocks, interspersed with limestone. Near the forest of Glenairtneg is a good slate quarry, and at Dalclathie, near the W. end of Loch Earn, is a quarry of excellent limestone. Iron ore abounds, and was formerly extensively smelted. The principal landowners are Lord Willoughby D'Eresby, Sir David Dundas, Bart., and four others. The principal mansions are Dunira, Ardvoirlich, Aberuchill, Comrie House, and Dalhouzie. The parish is in the presbytery of Auchterarder, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £310. There is also a Free church and an United Presbyterian church. The village of Commie stands on the N. bank of the Earn, 6½ miles W. of Crieff. It has a woollen manufactory, and a considerable trade in cotton weaving. The parish church is a handsome building with a lofty spire. Lord Melville's monument, 1½ mile distant on the bank of the Lednock, is a granite obelisk, 72 feet in height. Comrie is a burgh of barony under Sir David Dundas. The village and its neighbourhood are more frequently visited by earthquakes than any other locality in the British Isles. A severe shock was felt on the evening of October 23rd, 1839. There are three Druidical circles; and the outline of a Roman camp, 16 acres in extent, supposed by some antiquaries to mark the locality of the battle between Agricola and Galgacus. Others identify it with the camp mentioned by Tacitus, where the 9th legion sustained a disastrous night attack from the Caledonians. Fairs are held in March, May, July, November, and December."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)