"CRIEFF, a parish and market town in the district and county of Perth, Scotland. It is for the most part situated in Strathearn, and is bounded by the parishes of Muthill, Madderty, Monivaird, Monzie, and Foulis-Wester. It lies between the Turrit on the W., the Shaggy on the N. W., the Pow on the E., and the Earn on the S. Besides the above, which is the quoad sacra parish, the following lands belong, quoad civilia, to this parish namely, Glenalmond, Corriemuckloch, Callander, and Achalhanzie. The parish, quoad sacra, is about 4 miles square. The surface is highland in character,-and beautifully wild and romantic. Some 600 acres are wooded, and sandstone is quarried. The chief landowners are Lady Willoughby D'Eresby, Lord Abercrombie, Sir P. K. Murray, Moray of Abercairney, Murray of Dollerie, and Graeme of Inchbrakie. The town of Crieff is connected by rail with the Scottish Central railway. This parish is in the presbytery of Auchterarder, synod of Perth and Stirling, and in the patronage of Lady Willoughby D'Eresby. The stipend of the minister is about £240. The West church, built in 1837 as a chapel-of-ease, is seated for 1,000 persons. There are also a Free church, two United Presbyterian churches, an Episcopalian chapel, Baptist chapel, and a Roman Catholic chapel. The town of Crieff stands near the river Earn, on the road from Perth to Stirling, and is 17 miles W. of Perth, and 21 N. of Stirling. Montrose frequently made it his headquarters during the civil wars of the 17th century, and it was burnt during the rebellion of 1715. It is at present about to be erected into a burgh under the new Police Act. It is situated on the western base of a hill, which commands a good view of part of the beautiful valley of the Earn. Many mansions adorn the landscape in the vicinity, among which are Ferntower House, Drummond Castle, and Octertyre. On Tomnachcastle is an obelisk to the memory of Sir David Baird, the conqueror of Tippoo Saib at Seringapatam. The town consists of three principal streets, meeting in a central square, and the chief buildings are Morrison's Academy, Taylor's Institution, the Townhouse, the Masons' Hall, and St. Margaret's College, lately an Episcopalian establishment for the education of young ladies, but now in the possession of R. C. Bishop, of Edinburgh. On the Gallow Hill, to the W. of the town, the seneschals of the royal estate of Strathearn used to execute their sentences on malefactors. These judges were of the house of Drummond, and existed from the 14th century until their abolition in 1748. This town has long been celebrated for its salubrity, good water, and sheltered position, which have rendered it a favourite resort for invalids. The chief manufactures are the tanning of leather, the making of coarse linens and worsteds, and of cotton goods for the Glasgow manufacturers. Before the establishment of the Falkirk trysts in 1770, this town was the great market for the sale of black cattle, and it is still much resorted to by Highland drovers. There is a weekly market every Thursday, and fairs are held in January, February, March, April, June, July, August, and October."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]