"COUPAR-ANGUS, town and parish partly in Forfarshire, but chiefly in Perthshire. The town stands near the Isla, on a small affluent of that river 12¾ miles by road, but 15¾ miles by rail, north-east-by-north of Perth; adjoins the site of a Roman camp and vestiges of an ancient abbey; dates from old times, and has undergone much recent improvement; carries on linen manufacture and other industries; and has a head post office with all departments, a railway station, 3 banking offices, a hotel and inns, a town hall, a new water supply of 1874, Established, Free, United Presbyterian, Original Secession, Evangelical Union, and Episcopal churches, and a public school of 1877 for about 500 scholars. Pop. 2154. - The parish contains also the villages of Balbrogie, Longluis, and Washington, and measures about 5 miles in length and from about 1½ to 2½ miles in breadth. Acres in Forfarshire, 184; in Perthshire, 4515. Real property in 1880-81, £1790 and £14,312. Pop. 256 and 2281. The surface is part of Strathmore, bisected by a ridge, commanding a splendid view."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.